Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Tom King Classic

The Disney Princess Half Marathon was a huge flashy event, just check out the pictures below. The race I ran on March 12th was a humble local race that proved to be just as much fun. Do to the lack of glitz and glamour, I don't have any pictures from TKC, but I'll tell you about it anyways.

Tom King is a real guy. I saw him on Saturday. I know I saw him because he was wearing a shirt that said "I am Tom King." Pretty plain and simple... except I still have no idea why they named a race after him. 10 points to anyone who can figure this out. I already googled his name and all I can come up with is more information about the race. Well, actually there were two races.

The Tom King Classic consisted of a half marathon and also a 5k. It was a fun day with friends since Bart came and ran the 5k and Mary and I ran the half. After a lot of dull and dreary weather, it was a beautiful sunny day in Nashville. It was a little rough since none of us had really trained in the heat. Mary and I spent part of the race reminiscing about our 11 mile loop at Percy Warner that took us over 3 hours to make our way over the snow and ice covered roads.

The race course started outside of LP field, and followed the Cumberland river along roads and some nice paved trails. It was an "out and back" course, so we ended the race back at LP field, but this time, we ran inside the stadium, and crossed the 50 yard line where we got our medals from ...(wait for it)... Titans cheerleaders! Yeah, OK, the NFL cheerleaders would've been more exciting for the male runners. They weren't even wearing cheerleader costumes, just track suits.

Overall it was a good time, and I am happy to report that I set another PR. Hopefully I'm on my way to running The San Diego Half Marathon in under 2:30!

No comments:

Post a Comment